Toggling Off Entities in a Consolidation
When users evaluate alternative investment opportunities they often want to be able to turn off and on different entities within the consolidation structure to see what the impacts of different investments would look like.
FinanceSeer addresses this need through the use of the Partition Manager in FinanceSeer. The partition manager represents the different building blocks of the model. We visualize these blocks by entity and by scenario. Turning off an entity in the Baseline, while leaving it on in a custom scenario is a really task.
To get started, consider the following steps:
- Go to the Tools module in FinanceSeer
- Click on the Partition Manager page.
- In the ribbon at the top of the page, click on the radio next to "Set Entity Contribution"
- Scroll down to the block you want to turn off and highlight it.
- Click on the Set Entity Contribution button and untick the "include entity" box.
- Go back to workspace and view the data. The aggregating entities will not include the turned off entities data. The data in the turned off entity will still show. To hide this data, turn on the All Contributions dimension (by default this is a hidden dimension). Set the member to a consolidated entity to see the children impact. Please note that you will not be able to enter data into this member (set back to Standalone to enter data).
Please note that acquisitions and investment proposals should almost always be entered in to the Baseline. Generally, acquisitions and investment proposals would then be turned off in the baseline. By creating a scenario called "with acquisitions", the user can elect to leave it on in the consolidation. Because no data has been entered into the scenario it will be the same data as the baseline (only not turned off).